Thursday, June 20, 2013

Guidelines for collecting dolls as a hobby

Guideline 1: Focus On Collecting. If you don't already have some, You don't need one.
 
Guideline 2: Impulse buying is a no-no. You should wait at least 24 hours after seeing a picture, someone's post or reading a review before doing a search on e-bay for that item.
 
Guideline 3: Make it a rule that if a new doll comes in the house. One old doll has to leave the house. It does not have to be the same quality or type. You can sell it. Give it someone, or donated.
 
Guideline 4: Excluding convention dolls or Exclusives, I will not pay more (nor should you) than retail for any doll. There are exceptions what so ever I say.
 
Example: for years I wanted a Sybarite doll by SUPERfrock, but because of the prices of these dolls (sometimes $400 to even a couple of thousand) I would never be able to afford them. I was at my favorite used toy store in Alameda, CA. Toy Safari and I saw Ivory D’Royce (pictured below) for $70 (EBay lists her for $799).
 
16” FBR Sybarite SUPERfrock SUPERdoll “Ivory D’Royce” Gilt & Fortune LE 150
 
I asked the lady if the price was correct. She replied yes. Well it was obvious that she did not know what she had nor had even seen one of these dolls before. I quickly scooped her up and left the store immediately in fear that somehow she would find out what she just lost out on.
 
Guideline 5: Never buy a doll without seeing a photo of it. Even a promo photo counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment