Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Doll Collector(s) Profile: La Ron Owens


Doll Collector(s) Profile: La Ron Owens
October 8, 2013


Marilyn Monroe (not really) and Me (on the left)


Q: Can you introduce yourself?

A: Sure? My name is La Ron.  I’m a 39 years old. I am an inspiring Fashion Doll and Couture Clothing Designer. I live in Oakland, CA.


Q: How did you discover Fashion Dolls?

A: I am a big fashion doll collector. For me collecting is a wonderful and exciting journey. It sometimes can be over whelming and if you let it, it will take over your life. Like any collections, it is time consuming (if you let it) and become financially (if you let it) consuming as well. If you think about it fashion dolls are truly a ridicules piece of plastic. Plastic, vinyl, resin or porcelain, it all depends on how much you want to appreciate every bit of it! I love fashion dolls. I love designing for them. I love creating them! I am in no way associated with any doll manufacturers, dealers, designers, artists or toy companies in anyway.


Q: When did you buy your first Fashion Doll?

A: I can’t say the exactly when, but I think it was sometime in 1995 I would guess. I purchased two Barbie dolls. 1 was Jewel Hair Barbie and I also purchased My First Barbie Tea Party Barbie.


Q: How many dolls do you own?    

A: Too many!!! Over the years I have collected so many dolls, I had no idea how many. My husband and I went to down size our storage and that’s when it hit me on how many I truly have. Now I’m downsizing. I’m driving my husband truly mad with my obsession for them and plus it’s financially consuming as well.


Q: What your favorite Doll?

A: I can’t choose between two dolls. I guess I would say my JAMIEshow Sasha Homage doll. She is a tribute to the late Alexander McQueen. She is dressed like Lady Ga Ga from the “Bad Romance” music video and she wears the signature Alexander McQueen armadillo trademark boot heels.


Q: What do you like most about collecting?

A: I enjoy photographing them. I enjoy designing clothes for them. I enjoy designing edgier looks in particular for them.


Q: Some people like to de-box, keep their dolls NRFB or redress which one are you?

A: I’m a huge time de-boxer. All the dolls I have I keep for myself. Sometimes if I can afford it (which is really never) I would buy two of them. One to keep in their box and the other to remove from the box.


Q: Do you collector other dolls?

A: Yes? I collect many different fashion dolls and acton figuars. Star Wars, He-Man, She-Ra. I'm really getting into collecting Ken dolls or any male doll figuars. I love collection black fashion dolls. As well as celebrity dolls too.  


Q: Do you own any OOAK dolls?

A: Yes. I am fortunate to own an Angelina Jolie doll that I commissioned. I had purchased an Avant Guard “Bijoux” by Jason Wu for Integrity Toys. Deborah Bombich by www.JustCreations.com did a wonderful job.


Q: What is your most prized Doll?

A: This is a tough question. I would probably Ivory D’Royce “Glit & Fortune” by SUPERfrock / superDOLL. She is LE (Limited Edition) to 150. Her face-sculpt looks like Marlene Dietrich.


Q: What is the most you ever spent for an FR (Fashion Royalty) doll?

A: $85.00 for Veronique Perrin “Pearlescence”. I still have her to this day.


Q: What would you considered to be your Holy Grail of dolls?

A: I think to have an OOAK (One of a Kind) Marilyn Monroe doll by Noel Cruz. His OOAK’s are a masterpiece. Truly a wonderful work of art.


Q: Have you ever attended a Doll Convention, if so what did you like about it?

A: No. I have not been fortunate to go to one. From what I have read people say they are a lot of fun. I would love seeing the convention dolls and getting a sneak peak of future line. I think the best part of going to a convention would be meeting other doll collectors who share the same hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment